The French have a phrase – “la route du bonheur” or ‘the road of happiness’ and it means a touring route of exceptional inns offering wonderful food, hospitality and insight into the region. Such a magical trip would make anyone happy.
Fearrington House has partnered with other Southern members of Relais & Chateaux to create a Southern ‘Route du Bonheur’, spanning from near our nation’s capital, Washington, D.C., to the South’s historic crown jewel, Charleston, SC. Travelers can experience the finest of the South’s cuisine, tour some of its most scenic byways and stay at three of its finest independently owned properties.
This self-guided tour allows you to experience three distinct Southern regions and three properties each with a unique character, offering you a wealth of rich experiences for you to treasure. Learn more:
- The Inn at Little Washington. Only an hour’s drive from Washington, D.C. at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains, this 18-suite hideaway in the country was created by Patrick O’Connell. Centered in the charming colonial village of Little Washington, the Inn offers lovely accommodations and American gourmet cuisine locally sourced from the Virginia countryside.
- The Fearrington House. Five hours south by car lies The Fearrington House, in a tranquil farm setting just outside of Chapel Hill in the cultural and academic center of the state. Guests at the 32-room inn enjoy expansive gardens, boutique shops, a spa, and gourmet restaurants. The Fearrington House, recently voted one of America’s top 50 best restaurants on OpenTable, is located in the former farm homestead, serving sophisticated contemporary American cuisine.
- Planters Inn. Five hours south is Planters Inn in Charleston, SC, one of America’s most historically significant and romantic cities. Expect to find upscale period-style furnishings and four poster beds in each of the inn’s 64 luxurious rooms. Antique shops, art galleries and the theatre district are just outside the door. The Peninsula Grill, consistently named Charleston’s best restaurant, offers award-winning gourmet dining.
or contact us at 1-888-700-8747.
- Trip Start/End:
- South Africa (Cape Town) / South Africa (Cape Town)
- South Africa (Franschhoek)
- 3 days
- Tour Type:
- Travel Style:
- Relaxation Our Relaxation trips offer a retreat from the daily grind and a chance to recharge. From luxurious beach destinations, exclusive spas to breathtaking vistas, our Relaxation trips re-invigorate the soul. The level of luxury can be adjusted up or down to suite your tastes, and the service and attention to detail is always seamless.
- Price Range:
- From $1023 pp to $1245 pp *
- * USD per person, double occupancy. Prices subject to change. This tour is fully customizable.
“This is the perfect way to extend your trip in Cape Town”
Franschhoek is an historic residence in the centre of what many regard as the most charming and picturesque village in the Cape Winelands. Elegantly restored in the Cape Huguenot tradition and right in the heart of what has become the utopia for food and wine lovers in the Cape. Enjoy your time exploring this region with your private guide and driver.
Day 1: Cape Town – Franschhoek
Upon arrival into South Africa you will be met at the door of the plane and escorted through Customs and Immigration avoiding any queues. You will also receive all of your necessary documents for your trip which contains a detailed personalized itinerary, maps, restaurant suggestions, Top Tips for exploring each city or region and a 24 hour concierge service (for restaurant reservations, spa treatments, child minders, day tours etc).
You will be met this morning by your guide and set off for the Winelands, a delightful drive which winds its way through superb mountain ranges, vineyards and Cape Dutch homesteads. Our first stop is Stellenbosch, the second oldest town in South Africa, with canal lined avenues, and magnificent examples of Cape Dutch architecture where we enjoy our first wine tasting, coupled with a chocolate and dessert tasting. Onward over the scenic Helshoogte Pass, to Franschhoek, founded by French Huguenots over 350 years ago, and widely regarded as the culinary capital of South Africa. Its beautiful setting and café lined streets will charm you and a further wine tasting is included at one of the renowned estates here. Your journey will also take you to the town of Paarl, at the foot of a cluster of remarkable granite domes where we enjoy our final wine tasting before being dropped off in Franschhoek at La Fontaine Guesthouse for the night.
The serious business of fine dining at Le Quartier has been set apart and defined by The Tasting Room. Course after course of exquisitely presented culinary delights showcase chef Margot Janse and her team’s award-winning talent. You can indulge in a surprise – African inspired – or a five course choice menu. The menu can be enjoyed with a wine pairing (drinks not included).
Accommodation: The Franschhoek Country House
The Franschhoek is a historic residence in the centre of what many regard as the most picturesque village in the Cape Winelands.
Day 2: Franschhoek
Today your resident Winelands expert will join you for a full day exploration of the culinary delights of the Franschhoek Valley, including exceptional estates such as Haute Cabriere, Moreson, La Motte and Grande Provence. You will delight in cheese tasting in the 200 year old barn at La Grange Fromagerie, chocolate tasting at the Franschhoek Chocolate factory and lunch which has been booked for you at either La Petite Ferme or Grande Provence, depending on your preference. Take time to explore the town by foot as the boutiques and art are exceptional. You will return to your auberge late this afternoon.
Enjoy time at leisure to explore at your own pace, or relax at your hotel.
Set on the original site of Franschhoek’s first parfumerie, today it’s the heavenly scent of chef Adrian Buchanans cooking that inspires at the Monneaux Restaurant, a Cape culinary classic. Even by the food & wine capital of the country’s high standards, Monneaux is an extra-ordinary success, having been in the country’s Top 100 list for six years consecutively, on the Top 10 list for two years and winning the American Express Platinum Award for fine dining.
Accommodation: The Franschhoek Country House
Day 3: Cape Town
Private transfer between Cape Town and Franschhoek.
Depart from Cape Town international airport – end of itinerary.
Trip Terms & Conditions
- Guaranteed departure – Accommodation, Activities, Transfers, Meals, Fees where indicated as per the itinerary – Local and international traveler assistance during your tour – Specialised and personalised services
What’s not Included:
- Tips – Laundry – Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages unless explicitly noted – Optional activities/extras – Visas (unless noted) – Vacation insurance
Your deposit is due immediately on booking (30% of program price, minimum $250). The balance is due 90 days prior to departure. We accept payment via credit card, certified check, wire transfer or money order.
Tour quotes do not include airfare to/from the trip start point unless noted on the itinerary
Cost increases in currency exchange, government fees, taxes, surcharges or hotel/lodge tariff increases between quote date and start date are payable by the client.
Availability cannot be guaranteed until booked. We will exercise best efforts to book hotels per the itinerary, however, in busy seasons and with client bookings made within 90 days of tour date we may be forced to offer substitutes.
Cancellations of confirmed bookings 90 days or more prior to departure will receive full refund minus a $350 administrative fee and any non-refundable paid fees (e.g. non-refundable airfare, cruise or hotel deposits). 60-89 days will be subject to loss of deposit. 30-59 days will be subject to loss of 50% of program price. 29 days or less will be subject to 100% of program price.
Payment of the program price constitutes your acceptance of the terms and conditions set out at http://www.horizon-co.com/terms-and-conditions
Living Standards and practices at destination may differ from those in North America with respect to provisions of utilities, services and accommodation.